Like a compressed Hash Lacing, this method runs two steps forward, one step back, with double-passes through eyelets. Resembles the grid of raised squares or diamonds of a waffle.
• Begin straight across on the inside (grey section) and out through the bottom eyelets.
• Cross the ends on the outside and feed in through the set of eyelets two rows higher up the shoe (skip past one row).
• Run both ends straight down on the inside and emerge through the next lower set of eyelets.
• Continue two rows up on the outside, one row back on the inside, finishing with the ends feeding under the sides and out through the top eyelets.
Holds very tight
Harder to tighten
5% longer ends (approx.)
• Many sneakers, such as Vans, Converse and Puma, have a waffle-like grid of raised edges and recessed diamonds or squares.
The photo at right shows the sole of a Converse sneaker.
• This lacing also resembles the angled groups of three-letter words in a crossword puzzle. In fact, I seriously considered
naming this method
"Crossword Lacing". Other visitors have also suggested
• This lacing works best with thinner or flat laces because most of the eyelets have to accommodate two passes of shoelace.
• When feeding a second pass of shoelace through an eyelet, take care that the
aglet (shoelace tip) doesn't catch on the shoelace fibers and cause
Waffle Lacing Gallery
Converse All-Star Shoelace Uppers with Waffle Lacing.
Hover over any photo to view details
Contribute a photo (via e-mail)
Shoelace Lengths for Waffle Lacing
|Pairs of eyelets:||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
|Length needed:||(N/A)||70 cm
Shorter shoelaces needed than those for basic Criss Cross Lacing.
Longer ends if existing shoelaces are re-used (+5% on average).
NOTE: The above is an average calculation. On shoes with more than about six pairs of eyelets, Waffle Lacing will actually need longer shoelaces than Criss Cross Lacing and thus will shorten the ends.
Waffle Lacing Feedback
"It kind of looks like a honeycomb or diamond pattern."
– Chris G, Nevada, USA, May-2009
Rate This Lacing Method
Please only vote once – multiple votes are removed daily