The laces cross diagonally over two focal points, forming a “black hole” in between. Needs maximum shoelace length and thus “shortens” ends.
Lacing Technique – for even numbers of eyelet pairs
• Begin straight across on the outside (grey section) and in through the pair of eyelets just below the middle.
• Cross the ends diagonally upwards on the inside and feed out through the next vacant set of eyelets up the shoe.
• Cross the ends diagonally downwards on the outside and feed in through the next vacant set of eyelets down the shoe.
• Continue running diagonally up on the inside and diagonally down on the outside with progressively taller crossovers until lacing is completed.
• Variation 1 begins with a horizontal segment across the outside (shoes with even numbers of eyelet pairs).
• Variation 2 begins with a horizontal segment across the inside (shoes with odd numbers of eyelet pairs).
Top opens wide
This lacing method, like most decorative methods, is more difficult to tighten. Luckily, it does have the advantage that the top is like a V-neck garment. Once the knot is untied, the top of the shoe can be opened fairly wide to more easily slip the foot in or out – without needing to loosen or re-tighten all of the lacing.
Shoelace Lengths for Supernova Lacing
|8 pairs||178 cm||70 in||–22.0 cm||–8.7 in|
|7 pairs||153 cm||60 in||–15.0 cm||–5.9 in|
|6 pairs||131 cm||52 in||–9.4 cm||–3.7 in|
|5 pairs||112 cm||44 in||–5.2 cm||–2.0 in|
|4 pairs||96 cm||38 in||–2.4 cm||–0.9 in|
|3 pairs||82 cm||32 in||–0.7 cm||–0.3 in|
|2 pairs||70 cm||28 in||–||–|
• Longer shoelaces needed than those for basic Criss Cross Lacing.
• If the original shoelaces are re-used, this method effectively shortens the ends.
More details about length comparisons.
Rate This Lacing Method
Please only vote once – multiple votes are removed daily