Straight Bar Lacing (lug version)
A lug version of Straight Bar Lacing. The separate ends take turns running in a full “circuit” through alternate rows of lugs, resulting in horizontal “bars” at both the tops and bottoms of those lugs.
Lacing Technique 1 – single pass across top and bottom
• Begin straight across the bottom (grey section) and up through both bottom lugs.
• The left (blue) end runs straight up through the next higher lug, then straight across and down through the adjacent lug on the right-hand side.
• The same (blue) end then runs back across and up through the (already occupied) lug on the left-hand side. This completes a “circuit” through that row of lugs.
• The right (yellow) end runs straight up the right side, passing through the already occupied lug before running in a similar “circuit” through the next higher vacant row of lugs.
• Continue up the shoe, alternately running the left (blue) or right (yellow) end straight up the side and then around in a “circuit” through vacant rows until lacing is completed.
1 The regular technique has a single pass at both the top and bottom rows.
2 For a more consistent look or to consume some excess length, an additional “circuit” can be added at the top and/or bottom row(s).
Harder to tighten
• On shoes with an odd number of rows of lugs (eg. 5 rows = 10 lugs), the left (blue) end will travel through more rows than the right (yellow) end. To re-balance this, begin by adjusting the left end to be quite a bit longer than the right end.
• This lacing works best with thinner or flat laces because most of the lugs have to accommodate two passes of shoelace.
• When feeding a second pass of shoelace through a lug, take care that the aglet (shoelace tip) doesn't catch on the shoelace fibers and cause any damage.
Shoelace Lengths for Lug Straight Bar Lacing
|Pairs of lugs:||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
|Length needed:||65 cm
Longer shoelaces needed than those for basic Lug Criss Cross Lacing.
Shorter ends if existing shoelaces are re-used (−4% on average).
Rate This Lacing Method
Please only vote once – multiple votes are removed daily