This inside-out version of Bow Tie Lacing is used on combat boots by various armies. With the crossovers on the insides, the sides of the boots can flex more easily.
• For even numbers of eyelet pairs, begin straight across on the inside (grey section) and out through the bottom eyelets.
• For odd numbers of eyelet pairs, begin straight across on the outside (grey section) and in through the bottom eyelets.
• At each eyelet pair, alternate between a crossover on the inside and out through the next higher set of eyelets or running straight up on the outside and in through the next higher set of eyelets. Repeat until lacing is completed.
Allows more flex
Harder to tighten
33% longer ends (approx.)
• Combat boots are notorious for being made of thick, sturdy leather that does not flex very easily, making them hard and uncomfortable for any manoeuvering. This lacing eliminates any crossovers that would hold down the sides of the boot, allowing the leather to crease more freely. These creases can be seen clearly in the photo below (the boot with the knife alongside), particularly near the ankle area.
• If you would prefer to have a more rigid military lacing, such as for marching, parachuting, or for preventing ankle injuries in rough or slippery terrain, Ladder Lacing would be a better choice.
• I've been told that Army Lacing is used by the British, Dutch, French and Brazilian armies.
• Army Lacing is also useful for skateboarders. With other lacing methods, some lace segments run across the edges of the shoe uppers, where the high points are quickly chewed through by the grip-tape on skateboards. Army Lacing eliminates those high points, so the laces don't suffer as much wear and tear.
Army Lacing Gallery
Converse Hi-Tops with Army Lacing.
Shoelace Lengths for Army Lacing
|Pairs of eyelets:||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
|Length needed:||(N/A)||63 cm
Shorter shoelaces needed than those for basic Criss Cross Lacing.
Longer ends if existing shoelaces are re-used (+33% on average).
Rate This Lacing Method
Please only vote once - multiple votes are removed daily